July 10, 2017

Santiago Week 1


Mi Familia y Amigos,

What a week! I went from city to country, ward to branch, Ramsey to Aliaga... I think I´m experiencing a bit of culture shock! Santiago is different, but It´s growing on me! It´s the third largest city in the country (which sounds impressive... but really it´s like half the size of Elk Grove) and my comp and I get the whole thing to ourselves (apart from a very lovely senior couple)! I´m excited to see what happens, we´ve got a lot to work with(:

This week I´ve been thinking about obedience. I´ve decided that I love rules. I love them! I recently learned in a mission leadership counsel that there is a difference between ¨obeying¨ and ¨being obedient¨. If we obey, that´s good... but that obedience may stem from another´s expectation, a want of reward, or a fear of the consequences. ¨Being¨ obedient is a way to be, a way of life. It is when obedience is ingrained into your very nature because of your love for God. It is when our response echos that of Nephi´s, ¨I will go and do¨ (1 Nephi 3:7) and ¨I must obey¨(2 Nephi 32:15).

Preach My Gospel explains obedience as, ¨The first law of heaven. It is an act of faith... As you obey, you increase in faith, knowledge, wisdom, testimony, protection, and freedom.¨... Those are six blessings that I sure want to have. During my mission I have seen others suffer because of disobedience to the Lord´s commandments, such as the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. Their lives are full of more worry, anxiety, and pain than is neccessary. At the same time, I have seen others change their lives to be de acuerdo con the laws of God. The promise mentioned in Preach My Gospel has definitely become theirs! (Example: Our recent convert Guillermo).

The moral of the story?? Keep the commandments! BE obedience. Remember the testimony of Nephi, ¨For I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commanded them.¨(1 Nephi 3:7).

I love this gospel!! I love being a missionary!! I love you all!!!!!

Hermana Van Deusen

Me and the new companion... Hermana Aliaga de Peru 

No comments:

Post a Comment