July 17, 2017

Matthew 7:7-8



Mi Familia y Amigos,

Well this week was exhausting! but what better work is there than the work of salvation??? I love being a missionary!

this week I was thinking a lot about prayer. It´s something so basic, yet so very important. An experience that we had early in the week reminded me that prayer is one of the most powerful tools that we have been given: 
Lately we´ve been meeting with a cute 11 year old girl named Kimberly. She REALLY wants to get baptized. She´s gone to church a handful of times and understands very well everything that we teach. The sad part of Kimberly´s story is that she doesn´t have a good home life. To make a long story short her mother is not very responsible and passes the week at her boyfriend´s house, her father is not in the picture, her sister works, and Kimberly is overweight and they all verbal abuse her. It´s just a sad situation, but she´s always smiling... even on her birthday when nobody in her family remembered or did anything for her. She is a trooper!! BUT the worst part of the story is that she needs permission to be baptized, and when my companion and I spoke with her mother she flat out told us no. She said, ¨nope! She doesn´t deserve what she wants! Maybe in January I´ll think about it.¨

Heart. Broken.

But like I said, this little girl is awesome. In the closing prayer of our last lesson with her, she got down on her knees and said, ¨Heavenly Father, I want to be baptized. Please soften my mom´s heart and bless her to be happy. I know that you want me to be baptized, so please help me get permission.¨

It was short, it was simple... but the spirit immediately filled the room. Matthew 7:7-8 immediately came to my mind, ¨Ask and ye shall receive¨. Kimberly taught me a very important lesson that day, the Lord ¨hears and answers every child´s prayer¨. I don´t know how her story will end, but I have a pretty good guess. That little girl is going to get baptized.

So let us pray. Let´s pray with everything we have. Let´s talk with our Father in Heaven! 

I love and miss you all!! Have a fantastic week!! 

Hermana Van Deusen

Me and my comp
A weird fruit that I am currently eating... not sure exactly what it´s called...but it tastes good even though it looks like a brain

No comments:

Post a Comment