August 23, 2016

Gratitude

Mi Familia y Amigos, 

Wow this week was just... wow. There were a lot of crazy things that happened... but there's not enough time to explain it all... so the moral of the story is that I was extremely humbled. I guess it began with Adan. Adan is a less active that one of the members introduced us to. He lives in a "house" that has no electricity, no running water, no kitchen, no bathroom, no nada. It's basically four walls, a tin roof, and a matress on the floor. He is extremely poor to say the least. Sunday night La Familia Lezcano invited him to come to their house to eat dinner and talk with us for a little bit... it nearly broke my heart. We were talking and he told us about his struggles, the things that have happened, and the fact that he is still alive is a miracle. An absolute miracle. He has little education and doesn't understand much about the Gospel, but he has a lot of faith. He told us that one day he was praying because he didn't have any money for food and he hadn't eaten in almost two days... when he said "Amen", there was a chicken right in front of him that he caught and ate. He told us that because of that, he knows that God is real. Wow. When he was talking, I was just filled with so much, I don't know, Guilt, for all that I have. For my petty wants that I classify as needs. For the things that I used to think were so important. But I am also so grateful. So grateful that my family is together, that we have a home, that my parents can provide for us, that we have the gospel in our lives, that we are sealed in the temple, that I know my Lord and Savior, and that I have this chance to preach the Gospel and meet so many wonderful people. We have been so blessed... and we don't even see it. We can't truly comprehend everthing that the Lord has done for us. But how grateful I am that he loves us enough to bless us despite that fact. The only thing that he asks us to do in return it to keep the commandments. That's it. I'm reminded of when in the New Testament when Christ is talking to Peter, and asks him 3 times, "Peter, do you love me?", when Peter responds affirmative for the third time he states, "Then feed my sheep". Maybe we don't have the means to support every person in need, maybe we can't change everyone's physical circumstances... but we can share the Gospel. We can feed the sheep. We can smile at the people who are walking down the street with a frown. We can visit the less active that we haven't seen in church for a while. We can make dinner for someone who's sick. We can give REFERENCES TO THE MISSIONARIES of people who we know need help. We can follow the example of the Savior, and just show love. I learned a lot this week, and again, I can't express how blessed I feel to be here. It hurts sometimes, and it's really hard, but it is the best experience I've ever had. I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father, and my Savior Jesus Christ. What a priviledge it is to preach in his name. Help someone in need this week, not for me, but for him. I promise your week will be 100000000% better. I love you all and I am so grateful for your love and support!! Have a fabulous week!! 

Hermana Van Deusen  


No comments:

Post a Comment